Tuesday 20 December 2011

The hills are alive with the sound of....

Heavy breathing!! Yip, today I decided to miss the gym and take the workout to the streets!  Well not really the streets more like the Papamoa Hills.  I thought it was going to be a fantastic idea, getting my walk on in the sunshine, breathing in the fresh air, being at one with nature.... um, I was mistaken!

I hadn't done this walk before so was not to sure what to expect.  Arriving in the car park I was greeted with a bank of stairs.  Hmmm, that can't be good... how am I meant to do a gentle walk to warm up before hitting some of the hilly bits?   So I took a swig of water and started the climb up the stairs, and then some more stairs, and then a couple more stairs before the track turned into a steep slope.  I wasn't sure if my lungs were going to explode or if my heart was going to bust out of my chest and then it happened.... I could see light at the end of tunnel.... Some awesome council people had installed a seat!!!  Needless to say, I hauled my ass onto it and tried to calm my breathing down while wiping the sweat out of my eyes and trying to look cool just in case anyway walked around the corner and saw me!

While sitting there I decided it might be best if i didn't continue walking up the hill, should I have a huge coronary getting me out of there would have been a mission and I didn't want to put those ambulance officers through the pain of dragging me down the side of a hill!!  Actually if I was conscious I would have told them to chuck me on the bed/gurney (not sure what its called!!) let the brake off and I'll meet them at the bottom!

Anyway, instead of slinking off home because it was all too hard I decided I would continue walking up and down to the seat until I could hack it no more.... only took just over half an hour before my legs started shaking I figured that was the time to head home.  I didn't think about the driving part though, have you tried to push the clutch in to change gears with a leg that is nearly uncontrollable?? I can confirm its not easy and the poor car was only seconds away from bunny hopping down the road!!

But that wasn't the end of physical activity for the day... the sun was out so I thought I would mow the lawns.... I'm sure your wondering what crazy thought process would lead to making such a dumb decision after walking myself into pain.... Well to be honest it was an easy decision, we have a ride on mower so I could sit back and relax!!!

Anyway, back to the gym tomorrow for some weight training...  ouch!!


1 comment:

  1. If you'd been a few data earlier you could have trained with the chiefs. They were training on the hills ; ) x

    ReplyDelete