Tuesday 31 January 2012

Everest has been conquered.... well, my version of Everest!!


Remember me?? Sorry, my bad!! I have been particularly slack over the last week or so doing my blog.  For a change I have been busy with.... um, actually I don't really know what I have been busy doing but come night time (the usual blog writing time) my brain is kaput and my fingers are incapable of typing!!! 

I finished my last blog saying I would talk about the insane High Intensity Interval Training (also know as H.I.I.T) this time.  Well.... I have done it a few times now, the first couple of times I could not complete the 12minutes of fast, slow, rest (repeated 3 or 4 times, I forget at the moment!!) At the end of 12minutes I would be hanging onto the cross trainer with fear of falling off flat on my face, my hands and arms were getting a workout just holding me up, who knows what was going on with my legs during that time, everything was a blur, I think my life even flashed before my eyes at one point!! Then after speaking with my evil trainer Mark, yip evil because he is making me do this!! I was saying that doing H.I.I.T at the end of my workout was not working for me.  I had no energy left after lifting weights so was only giving my cardio 40% of what I should have been doing.... So Mark suggested doing the cardio first.  Knock me down with a feather, why did I not think of that?  The solution was simple and it worked!!  The next time I tried it at the beginning of my workout and I managed to smash it out and finished my 12minutes (still holding on for dear life though!!), however when I finished I collapsed onto the closest machine and was out of breath for about 15minutes, and it took about 5hours to cool down after that!!

So to sum up H.I.I.T... it suxs!!! After lengthy discussions with Mark I decided an S needs to be added in front for 'Stupid'.  Unfortunately I don't think Mark will add the extra letter.... bummer!!  However Mark did deliver some good news which makes S.H.I.I.T not so... shit, after completing 12minutes of excruciating pain the body can continue to burn fat for up to 48hours!!! Awesome!!! 

Today I attempted to walk the Papamoa Hills again.... yes I'm a sucker for punishment!! I was expecting to just make it to the first seat again then do my little walk up and down from there.  Not this time... I made it to the summit!!!!!! YAY!!!! O.K, so I did stop at all the seats on the way up, even stopped at some nice grassy bits because the next sitting area was no where in sight!! Basically it was either stop and recover or keep going and literally have my chest explode open so my lungs and heart could have enough space to work at the same time!!  I think I may have to thank the S.H.I.I.T for getting me to the top today!! Shame about all the sheep poo you have to dodge though!!  Which makes me wonder how some of the people I saw wearing jandals today managed to a) keep the jandals on their feet (I'm thinking monkey toes) and b) how did they not get sheep poo smushed all over their feet?  Hmmm, the silly things you think about when sitting on the side of a hill people watching!!

I guess now that I have done that once I will have to keep going and try to work on the time it takes!!! I just wish there was a suggestion box for the Park Ranger at the bottom of the track.... they need to install one or to more seats, a couple of the distances between seats was a little extreme for a novice like me!!! And if they could put an ice-cream shop at the top, that would be awesome!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on conquering Everest! Just so you know, H.I.I.T was originally called "S.H.I.I.T" (Super High Intensity Interval Training) but for some reason the idea didn't sell...hehehe
    Just know that it DOES get easier and it's SOOOO going to be worth it :-)

    -Your evil trainer.

    ReplyDelete